Friday, December 16, 2011

The Light in the Window

Streetlights on Via R. Settimo, Ortygia Island, Syracuse, Sicily, Italy





It is so dark and stormy outside. My house feels cold and empty. It seems like the days are getting shorter.  It makes people sad, like there is a depression falling over our homes.

One thing I like do to is turn on a few lamps in the early afternoon. It sends a gentle light throughout the house. Those driving by, or walking by our house, will see a light in the window. They will see that someone is home. . . That someone cares about this place. . They will see that light and feel welcomed and warmed.

It's time for me to turn on a quiet CD of songs by Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby. I will turn on my kitchen lamp, put on my apron, and start cleaning.

Soon it will be time for the early evening's errands.  I will have to go out. But before I do, I want to make sure everything is neat and pleasant and happy. Mr. White will have the wood stove on, for when I come home later.   I will see the pretty light in the window, and feel welcomed in my own home as I walk  through the door.

I don't want to have that bad feeling when I come home tonight - the one of dread, because I left the house without cleaning first. I want to come home to order and beauty. .  . and a little lamplight to make me smile.

Blessings
Mrs. White


Oh, please, let it be like - The Mission House.

Reminding Myself - Education Must Not Be Rushed.

One of Those Days - When Mama Falls Asleep on the Job.





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment