Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Aging Gracefully

Elderly Woman Knitting





Mr. White and I were watching a Hallmark movie the other night. The elderly mother in the program had me puzzled. She looked familiar. Halfway through the movie, I realized she was Shelley Long! She had aged. But still had her charm.

I have watched many old movies starring people like Myrna Loy (in the original Cheaper By the Dozen). I was also startled to see photographs of her in her older years. Age does some powerful things to a person.  But some, like Myrna, age with beauty and grace.

We have a neighbor who is in her 80's. She still paints her nails, wears blush and dyes her hair black. She has lovely manners and charm. She is an elegant person and very sweet and kind to all.

I think that to age gracefully, mostly means that we are sweet natured. The kindness exudes a beauty and glow like none other.  The older and more frail I become, the sweeter and calmer I want to be.

This past week, I have felt crippled. I am back to using my cane again. I realize this confuses everyone around me. Sometimes my husband teases me because I look young.


Summer 2011

 
 I know it is strange to see me walking with a cane, and at times, shaking as I walk. But those things pass and my health improves so much that I can workout consistently, walk briskly on my own and be energetic! It's quite a contrast. However, I know the crippling will continue with age. I prepare for it by watching the lives of older people I admire.

My sweet Mother-in-law, always had her nails done, her hair fixed up and a kind smile on her face. She knitted and gardened and did her very best to look presentable, even through a ravaging illness that took her life a few years ago.

My own mother walks very slowly. She is often seen with a cane. She can't hear well, but has a kind, pleasant demeanor. She is loved by all around her. This, I think, is the essence of aging gracefully - when one attracts the love and devotion of others.

Blessings
Mrs. White


Do you have some of this? - The Good Deed Money.

Just the right mood - Homemaking with Frank Sinatra.

A Picture of my children when they were very little - Suppertime with Precious Helpers.





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment