Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Old Fashioned Home Economics

Family of Four in Dining Room for Breakfast





I want to do an experiment. I want to spend one day, keeping a journal of exactly how much time I spend on homemaking tasks, like cooking, cleaning and laundry. I want to know how much time I waste in idleness. I want to know how much time it takes to do each and every task so I can see what a true slacker I really am.

Yesterday, I put off doing the dishes until later in the day. The house did not look as nice as I would have liked and I skipped my baking plans. Why? Because I didn't feel like doing any of it.  Here's the problem -  not working, based on a mood or emotion is not acceptable.

Imagine if my husband had that attitude at his job? He would quickly get fired. I cannot believe I don't work half as hard as he does!

What we need is some real old fashioned home economics in our homes. We need to live up to the honored word of "homemaker" or "housewife" and take pride in our hard work!

Today, instead of rushing around in mindless pursuits, I am going to carefully focus on home. I am going to enjoy organizing the laundry room, and washing the dishes. I am going to vacuum and wash the kitchen floor. I am going to have something baking in the oven while I iron. And yes, I will iron something whether or not it is necessary, just so I can get my heart right.  It will be rewarding and wonderful.

And all this will be recorded in a little book.  So at the end of the day, I can see what was accomplished and how much time it took. Then I will read it over and feel a sense of pride, and relief, that I truly was worthy to be called "homemaker."

Blessings
Mrs. White


When was the last time you had a formal - Breakfast at Home?

Getting up early helps with Early Morning Housekeeping.

Very Precious - The Parlour on Sunday Morning.






An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment