Friday, December 23, 2011

If I Visit You at The Dinner Hour

Family Seated Round Dining Room Table, Father Saying Grace





I remember visiting my Aunt Norma and Uncle Bob (a reverend) in Alabama. We would spend several days with them. Early each evening, my Aunt would be cooking in the kitchen. Uncle Bob sat in the recliner and watched a little television. The house was quiet and happy. Everyone visited or played while we waited to be called to the table for prayer, and our supper.

My parents had a similar routine. Dad would be in the living room watching the news or some other program. We children would be there with him, or in our rooms finishing up homework. We could hear Mother in the kitchen cooking. It was comforting knowing she was in there, preparing our food. She always set the table with fresh vegetables in serving bowls, and had little plates of bread. We were happy when she called us to the table.

Today, whenever I see the sun starting to set, I am able to relax. All tensions and troubles seem to fade. It's like I can shut the doors and shut out the world, because it is almost the dinner hour. It is time for our daily rest from trouble and turmoil. So I turn on the lamp, and listen to the quiet sound of gospel music from my kitchen radio. I put on my apron and start preparing food. And while I cook, I am at peace.

 I hear the sound of the family gathered throughout this large old house, and they are laughing and talking. Every so often someone will come to the kitchen and ask, "How much longer 'til supper is ready?" And it gives me a great sense of pride, because I am making them a delicious dinner and it makes them happy.

The dinner hour is like a break from hard labor. It is a special time for families. It is familiar and secure and special. Nothing else seems to matter. It is the comfort of home and family.

And today, I wonder. . . If I visited your house tonight, at the dinner hour, what would it be like?

Blessings
Mrs. White

Make it look like The Maid was Here.

To the Dedicated Housewife - What Time Does Your Shift Start?

To Encourage - A Mother of Sinners.







An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment