Wednesday, March 21, 2012

When Mother is a New Gardener

Woman Kneeling in Garden, Wearing Gloves, Working in Flower Bed




There is so much to learn when it comes to tending a home. There is also indoor and outdoor work. This includes the pleasant times of hanging laundry on the line to dry in the warm spring sun.   Or Sweeping front porches and walkways. These are the delicate aspects of outside work.

The hard part, for me, is learning to garden. . .  I have repeatedly described how to clean and keep a house; how to care for children; ideas for baking and cooking.  But I have no wisdom when it comes to gardening. So if you can imagine a new housewife, overwhelmed when looking at a messy house and not knowing what to do? Then imagine me outside, standing there, bewildered, wondering what to do with Garden Tools. (gentle smiles)

A few months ago, I bought a few little pots and some seeds. I also have a small set of gardening tools and some gloves.  I even bought a large indoor piece of furniture that is some kind of "greenhouse." It will be used for starter seeds. (Whatever that means.)

I do have hope, however. Years ago, when we lived in Massachusetts, We had rose bushes. I pruned them, and took excellent care of them.  I don't have any idea how I managed that, but they looked so pretty! They also came back, year-after-year.  Perhaps I should start with rose bushes, here at our Vermont Estate?

I would also love to make a few spring, gardening dresses. But I don't have the ambition or energy.  Maybe I am getting old and need to buy a sewing machine. (I have been hand-sewing, almost exclusively for decades.)

The last few days, here, have been unseasonably warm and pleasant. My gardening plans for today include sitting in a chair with a book, while my boys do some raking and begin preparing the land. Does that make me a passive gardener?

Blessings
Mrs. White


Yearning for - The Romance of Home.

Lovely things to do - Domestic Occupations.

Remembering - Building a Strong Work Ethic in our Children.






An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment