Thursday, January 19, 2012

Frugal Inspiration from a Legend - Amy Dacyczyn



In the early 1990's, I came across Amy's book, The Tightwad Gazette. I was inspired to live a life of artistic, creative frugality. It completely changed my shopping life. . . At least for a time. . .

Even though I have lived frugally my entire life, despite several bouts of reckless shopping at times, and I know how to live with very little money, I found myself being extremely wasteful last month.

It  had been the best December we had in years. I had saved up a few hundred dollars, but spent it all on gifts, most of which were bought - just to buy a "gift."   I can only imagine how much cash I would still have if I had remembered Amy's shopping wisdom.

My goal is to re-read Amy's book.  I will read it slowly and re-incorporate her ideas into my daily life. (It is much like a dieter trying to change a lifestyle, rather than going on a restricted eating plan.)  I will take the ideas which mean the most to me, which will work in my situation, and will find happiness in spending little or no money.

This is not a life of deprivation, but one of amazing Yankee Ingenuity.

I first saw Amy on the Phil Donahue show. I cannot even imagine how long ago that was? I found her book at my local library and then later bought a copy.  Ever wonder what she is up to today? I found a video interview of her from about a year ago!  She still inspires me and makes frugality look amazing!





blessings
Mrs. White

When there is no money - We need - Mothers with Christmas Courage.

The worst of times - No Income and the Basics of Life.

Keep track of all your money with an old fashioned ledger book, featured at Frugal Dad.







An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment