Saturday, October 8, 2011

The Skilled Housewife

Young Woman Arranging Flowers in Living Room





Keeping house is more than just doing dishes, or ironing clothes. It is more than fixing supper or washing floors. Being a housewife is a skilled profession. In the old days, girls took home economics courses in school. Some even went to college to study the science of homemaking.  It is a beautiful thing to see a lovely, cared for home, even if there are humble surroundings.

Housewives need to learn the art of cooking, baking, sewing, mending, decorating, cleaning, thrift and so much more. They need to take pride in their work, putting forth their best effort.

The other night I was washing the dishes, while listening to  Crooners  on the radio.  I thought of how there are so many people who hate their jobs, and I was thankful that I loved mine. I love being here. I am grateful for the training I've had, and the experience I have in homemaking. I delight in setting an atmosphere of "home" for all who enter.

I took 3 years of home economics in school. I also studied for four years as a secretary, which taught me how to be a helper and assistant to my husband. It also taught me how to manage books and keep things organized and efficient.  I worked as a maid and spent much of my time taking care of children. All this happened before I turned 18 years old. I was taught how to keep house. I was trained in the art of homemaking and motherhood. For this I am eternally grateful.

Blessings
Mrs. White




An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment