Monday, July 18, 2011

The Neglected Garden

Timeless Grace




I went to my mother's porch a few days ago. I walked along, looking at all her plants. She had so many colorful flower boxes, sitting on top of the railing.  There was also a large tomato plant on the floor. She had all kinds of flowers growing in different planters.

As I walked, I realized the great neglect. Mother is away and asked me to take care of her plants.  I had agreed to water them - to visit them.  I had planned to go out there each day and tend to her beautiful porch garden.  But on the first day, it rained. On the second day, it rained again. I didn't think the flowers needed me. So I stayed indoors.  By the end of the week, I suddenly realized I needed to check on them.  But it was too late.

The flowers were dying. They had been abandoned. They were forlorn and pitiful because of my careless neglect.

I quickly found a watering can and tried to revive them. For two straight days, I diligently tended them. They are showing no progress.

This reminds me of my home. It can be temping to ignore all the work I have to do. It is easy to just put it off . . . But this will lead to a forlorn place. . .  It will not look like a lovely garden. Weeds will spring forth. Flowers will wilt. Doom and gloom will be the aura of an abandoned home. It would be a sad place indeed, if I neglect my home, the way I neglected Mother's garden.

Blessings
Mrs. White

A Treasure - The Bills in the Whitman's Box.

Calling you Back to - The Romance of Home.

What Do you Think? - Should Mother Work Outside the Home in 1981?




An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment