Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mother's Dress

Jackie Kennedy, Wife of Sen, Cutting Out Newspaper Clippings Next to Open Scrapbook




Okay.. I admit it... I was a little envious while watching television. I saw this great family,  and they had nice, new clothes all the time. While I know it is not real life, I had a twinge of yearning for a trip to the local shopping mall. I wanted a purse full of hundreds to buy a sparkling new wardrobe. Not just for me, of course, but for my entire family. (smiles)

It took me a few hours to get over this horrid feeling. . . I remembered that in the 1800's, a normal mother had only one good dress. Mother would wear this to church, or on the rare trip to town. It was her best dress.

Then I thought of my own mother. During her childhood, the custom was to have three articles of each kind of clothing. She had three dresses, three pairs of socks. . etc. etc. The saying went like this:

- One in the Drawer.
- One on your Back.
- And one in the Wash.

Yet people still managed to look nice! Can you imagine not having new clothes all the time? I know, I know. . . I am spoiled beyond belief.

I think the only way I am going to cure this envy, is to get all dressed up today, complete with pearls and heels, and go about my day.  Maybe I will even take a trip to town.

Blessings
Mrs. White


This is just what I need - A Little Classy Homemaking.

Make it look like - The Maid was Here.

*contented sigh* - I love to have A Heart for Staying Home.





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment