Thursday, July 7, 2011

American Housewives are Lazy Squaws

Housewife Keeping Her Eyes Glued on the T.V. While Doing Her Ironing



I remember browsing through the historic section of my local library, something like 15 years ago. I came across a passage in a Massachusetts book which described life in early America.

Forgive me for not citing the exact source, but it may have been written by Alice Morse Earle in the 1800's.  Something from the book really struck me.

An Indian described the pilgrim women as "Lazy Squaws." They could not comprehend why they spent so much time indoors or near the property. I had to chuckle when I read that. To this day, I still smile when I think of it.

Lately, I have been wondering: Are today's American Housewives lazy? I mean . . . are we, as a general rule, less productive than women in other cultures? Do we do less work than American women in history?

To fight this mentality, I have been trying to build up my endurance. I don't want to be sick, or frail. I want to accomplish the tasks that have been given to me. But I need to build up my strength. If we could just realize the short time we have here in this life, would it make us work harder and more efficiently to finish our work?

When my life has ended, I don't want to be remembered as being a lazy squaw. I want to be remembered for being a hard working, dedicated wife and mother who labored for the Lord, until her very last breath.

I want to work hard at my daily chores of feeding my family, teaching my children and caring for those in need. I want to be known as someone who can be counted on to keep my word.

 But I cannot do any of this if I remain in a constant state of illness. I need to run the race with endurance. I must be in a continual state of training in this life. I am to be an althlete in homemaking. This is the sport of my life.

Blessings
Mrs. White




An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment