Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Education Must Not Be Rushed

Readers in the Reading Room Have Access to One of the Largest Collections of Books in the World



In my little homeschool, I have gotten in the habit of rushing our lessons. We had errands to do. We wanted to relax in the afternoons. We wanted to hurry and finish our work. I would be too tired later and wanted to rest. So we hurried.

But yesterday, I slowed down. I started a new schedule. We were to have school from 9 a.m to 4 p.m. We would have a one - hour lunch break. We would have short breaks throughout the day.

Yesterday, great things happened.

My 13 year old (dyslexic) son took the time to research and study. He relaxed over his lessons. He did not dawdle, thinking he couldn't wait to finish, or daydream about what he could do instead. He actually studied and learned and made me proud.

It made me remember the old days of our homeschool. We spent hours in the library. We read and we searched and we relaxed. We learned without rushing.  Education was everything.

I think of great scholars who lean over their books with a curious mind. They want to learn. They are eager to learn. They get excited about knowledge.

I also learned that, just like small children need a bedtime story to settle down to sleep, my student needs to have a quiet, enjoyable lesson to ease him into his assignments. I read to him about the pioneers in the 1800s. Then I ask questions. Then he does his math. We work at his pace. We work slowly and steadily. We learn that school requires effort. It requires concentration and focus. We also learn that weekends and holidays are far more appreciated when we labor in our books all week long.



Blessings
Mrs. White

The Old McGuffey Readers - Efficient Teaching Ideas for Busy Homeschooling Mothers.

A precious idea - The Mailbox in the House.

Clean Your House in just 2 Hours a Day!








An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment