Friday, November 9, 2012

The Dinner Hour

Skating Scene

I entered my parlour this afternoon, after being out in the cold on errands. We had bags and papers and things everywhere. It was time to prepare (mentally and literally) for the dinner hour.

I turned on a sermon tape, on my kitchen radio, of A. W. Tozer, "The Plague of the Heart," and  worked in my home, while being nourished and strengthened by godly wisdom.

Soon the dishes, from the day, were soaking. The counters looked neat. The table was cleared and shining.  The chairs were in order and the floor was picked up.  Home looked lovely.

I will light a candle before the sun sets. I will get the Bibles ready to prepare for evening worship, after dinner.  There will be no watching of television, or computer time, or listening to secular news or music.  It will be a sacred time of our family gathering together at our family table.   It will be the dinner hour.

To make the dinner hour successful takes labor, and vision, and an eagerness to enjoy home.  It takes a pushing aside of all worldly thoughts and worries and activities. It is time to calm the heart and to soothe the soul.  It is time to make family and loveliness and charm and the beauty of home a sacred obligation.

We will pray and eat and enjoy fellowship at the family table.  It will be a precious time because Mama made it happen.

Blessings
Mrs. White

A Precious Gift - A Wife Who Does Not Complain.

What Life is Like With Little Money - Living Without Credit Cards.

Take Time to Read - The Old Vintage Hymn Book.





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark


No comments:

Post a Comment