Sunday, July 7, 2013

When Mother is a Shut-In

A Victorian English Family Kneel to Say their Prayers Together

Life has been very quiet here at the Estate. I have been cooking and baking and keeping house, at a slow, peaceful pace. I have not been able to leave the property. We have no car and no public transportation, in our rural area.  Mr. White is getting rides to and from work.  It has now been 2 weeks since I've been able to attend our beloved Church.  Our car is in the shop and we don't know if or when it will be repaired. 

I have loved staying here at home.  It has been a great blessing. It has also been an important lesson for me:  Staying home, for a wife and mother, as much as possible, is the greatest thing she can do. Why? Because she is creative at home.  She is not harried or under pressure from constant errands and outings.  She can cook from scratch more and monitor the economy of the kitchen inventory. Her sweet presence in the home is invaluable to the family for a great many reasons.

Staying at home, for a homemaker, is part of the job description.  The reward is incredible!

Yet, there are still the worries without a car, even if it were just for Mister.  We must have a running, dependable vehicle.  We must.  There are groceries to buy, banking to do, and a job for him to get to.  Today, I had a sort of childlike wonder about it all. I trust the Lord.  I know He is doing some great work.  So I willingly yield to this trial, making do and bringing as much light and joy into my home as possible, while we wait. 

My mother-in-law used to keep a running note on her fridge.  She rarely left home. So when she was almost out of laundry detergent, trash bags or milk, she would write on a note on the fridge.   I never heard her complain or panic about running out of milk (like I am sometimes tempted to!).   Papa, her husband, would pick those things up at the store on his way home from work, on a certain day of the week, or when he had time.   

My pantry is running low and I wonder when I will get to the market.    A few days ago, I made chocolate chip muffins.  I used apple juice instead of milk, because I knew I couldn't spare the milk.  Yesterday, I made my sons Macaroni and Cheese, but we had no milk to mix in with the powdered cheese. So I used a little spring water instead. It turned out just fine, and the boys enjoyed their lunch.  If I didn't know to do these kinds of things, I would not be able to calmly make it through this trial.

Something amazing is up ahead for us.  I believe it. . . We've had many rough financial times, and this year is no exception.  But we've been down this road before.  I have seen miracles and been greatly blessed by them.  Today, to keep a holy faith, I pulled out my favorite children's books:    "Uncle Arthur Bedtime Stories."  I will read these in my parlour chair during homemaking breaks.  I will read about sweet families who prayed and pleaded with God for their daily bread.  Tears will fall as I rejoice with them, as God works in mighty ways!  These are true stories written by Arthur Maxwell, and are gems!  Reading these today, will encourage me in my own prayers, and help me on my walk to victory.

Blessings
Mrs. White






For Home-keeping Inspiration, order my book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.





Share/Bookmark



No comments:

Post a Comment