Sunday, July 21, 2013

Ex - Housewife

Journalist Elizabeth May Craig Leaving Home

The other day, Mister had to fill out a jury duty questionnaire. When he was finished, he left the papers on a desk for me to mail.   I glanced at the part where it said, "Name of Spouse," and "Occupation of Spouse."

Here is what he listed as my job:

"Mother and Housewife."

I was delighted and proud.  This is my lifelong vocation.    I have a home to care for.  I have children and grandchildren to tend to.  I am my husband's companion. I keep the home. 

Today's homemaker often has a home where everyone "does their own thing."  Husband and children can microwave their own food. They are capable of doing for themselves, after all.   They can clean the house, do the laundry and anything else Mom can do, right?  Well, of course. But this breeds a home that needs no mother.  This breeds the home where lessons of homemaking, and tender mothering, cannot reach the next generation.

My boys (16 and 20) were talking about working mothers.  I said, "I could never leave this house. I am needed here." I went on to talk about all the things I do, and the just being here.  One of my sons said, "How would we ever eat well if you were not here to take care of us?"  Now this son is an amazing chef himself and a hard worker, but he appreciates having Mom home to keep the house and prepare special meals.  Yes, he can do all these things himself, but why would one want a home without a full - time homemaker, a full-time mother?  The family needs a dedicated mother to make the home a place of rest and recovery.

I realize there are mothers in terrible financial circumstances who currently work.  Many want to be at home.  But there are many more mothers who choose to go out to work because they want to.

Some mothers had been home while the children were young, but then decided to go back to work, or got bored and wanted something new and exciting in their life.   This is called an "Ex-housewife." This term breaks my heart.  It makes me think of a broken home and an ex-family.  It makes me think of a home that fell apart because mother left.

The older Christian mother is to be the example to the younger generation.  Her staying at home, often waiting through the seasons and phases of life, faithfully loving and tending the home, is to be the ideal example to the young Christian Mothers.  What breaks my heart is that many of these Titus 2 Mothers are abandoning the call of home and becoming "ex-housewives."

Scripture says for us to be ye separate.  We are not to mimic the actions and ways of the world.  If there is a mass exodus of women into the workforce, why would the Christian woman join the crowd and leave the home? 

Is it hard to stay home?  When there are financial trials - YES!  Upper class housewives have it easier than the rest. They worry not about money.  But the majority of Christian Homemakers work harder than most people by making food from scratch, laboring in the garden and home and taking care of the family.  This is hard work. But it is a precious calling.  It is a normal way of life for the sweet mothers of yesteryear.  We can keep this going, from generation to generation. But we must learn to never take on the title of being an "ex-housewife."

Blessings
Mrs. White


"Who, but a few wild visionaries, and rash speculatists, and mistaken advocates of 'woman's rights', would take her from the home of her husband, of her children, and of her own heart—to wear out her strength, consume her time, and destroy her feminine excellence—in committee-rooms, on platforms, in mechanics shop, or philosophical institutions?" -   John Angell James, 1800's



For Home-keeping Inspiration, order my book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking



An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email. 



Share/Bookmark



No comments:

Post a Comment