Thursday, February 2, 2012

Comforted by my Homemaking Tools

Jane Ironing a Skirt While Her Mother and Sisters Work Another Suit


I have this old ironing board that I have used for many years. It is wobbly and the cover is faded and worn. I did some ironing yesterday. I set it up in front of the television and watched "The Waltons" while I ironed pillowcases and fabric for sewing projects. I took breaks from ironing to wash bedsheets and make beds. I did dishes, made lunch and enjoyed a very special homemaking day.

I love the scent of a hot iron, and the feel of warm clothes. It reminds me of the comfort of home. When it was time to put the ironing board away, I thought of how it would be nice to get a new one. But then realized I needed to keep this old one. It has been well-used, all these years, and is an important part of my life. Why would I replace it with something modern and cold and foreign? I need to be surrounded by the familiar. I need to look at my homemaking tools and remember they have been used year- after- year and that I've done well.

One thing that is difficult about using a computer is that it is very hard to keep house while surfing the Internet or checking emails, or writing.   But when I watch television or listen to the radio, I can iron and sew and walk about the house doing projects. I can dust and polish and visit with my family. I can interact with those around me and accomplish things that give me great joy.

I mostly try to use the computer in the very early hours before sunrise. Then I spend the rest of my day focusing on the joy of the home arts - familiar things - surrounded by my family - and ironing and sewing and doing dishes.    Even the mere act of sweeping the floor provides a good feeling.  I love to see the vacuum cleaner and the broom and my dustpan, over in the corner. I see the furniture polish under the kitchen shelf, and my sewing basket on the hutch,  and I know these special tools are part of my daily life.   It is a rich and full lifeAnd I am ever-grateful.

blessings
Mrs. White

Leading your Teens to the Lord - Mother's Silent Influence in the Home.

Precious Old Country Song -  About When Mama Dies.

Ideas and Encouragement - How The Old Time Mothers Survived Poverty.








An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment