Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Housewife Contract

Woman Knitting and Listening To the Radio





When Mr. White asked me to marry him, I hesitated, then stated my one condition. I asked that I be allowed to be a housewife and never have to go to work. He agreed.

I didn't realize until many years later, how important that promise, that contract, meant to our lives.  We have talked about it over the years, laughing, smiling  . . . despite hardships, good times or bad. We always went back to that day on the Pier, at the ocean, when he promised I could be a housewife. He promised to take care of me, and our family.   This happened in the 1980's. Many women were working. While there were still housewives in my neighborhood, the majority of wives held jobs outside the home.  But my personal yearning, was to be a wife and mother. That was all I ever wanted out of life.

In this modern society, we are told that very few women are housewives. Frankly, I don't agree. There are many women committed to staying home with their families. There are even women staying home, tending to the house, being hospitable and taking care of husbands, even though they have never been blessed with children. Yes, it is okay to stay home even when there are no children, or when the children have grown!

I came across some sweet quotes, in my reading this week:

"My Mother's occupation and hobby, vocation and avocation was motherhood."

- Mary Higgins Clark (the famous suspense author) speaking about her own mother in "Kitchen Privileges" her memoir. (page 32)


"Mom never worked a day outside the home.  We were her life.  The house was always clean and comfortable, and she would always be baking cookies or bread or making something special for us to eat. When I went to college near home, I could count on finding her there, cooking, reading, knitting (needles and yarn were always close by or in her hands). She made an immense impact on our family."

- John MacArthur  - Servant of the Word and Flock - (from his biography written by Iain H. Murray)
(page 11)



Blessings
Mrs. White




An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment