Monday, August 15, 2011

Only Rich People Have Clean Houses

A View of Harriett Tubmans House





"Our homes should be neat with a swept sidewalk leading to the front door." - Emilie Barnes

Have you ever thought that only rich people have clean homes? When we consider the idea of poverty, we imagine dingy, dirty, tenement homes and people wearing tattered garments. It is the image of being in dire straights with no money for soap or the basic necessities of life.

As we work in our humble homes, we must not have dirty surroundings. It is not only the rich who have clean homes. While they do have servants and housekeepers and fine things - we have our own labor, and we must take pride in a job well done.  We are like the Hebrew women spoken of in Scripture (by the midwives)  who were strong and hard working, unlike Pharoah's Egyptian women who lived a life of ease.  We can most certainly find a little time, each day, to tend to our homes.

A clean and neat home makes it a welcoming place.  But we must make the effort to work. Doing dishes, sweeping floors, doing laundry  - these are all necessary tasks.  I read about this elderly aunt who walked into the home of her grown niece. The Niece was the mother to 5 children. She was an excellent housekeeper. Well, on this particular day, she had a sink full of dishes and other housework she needed to do. But the Aunt found her resting in bed. She thought, perhaps she was ill, or expecting another child. She said, "Why else would you be laying down when there is work to be done?"  I have thought of that statement on many occasions. I would sit in my parlour chair and start to read a book, but remember those wise words. It would startle me into being responsible. I would clean my kitchen first. Then I would sit down for my break.

 It is a precious feeling, knowing I have a home I can make into a lovely place.  Yet I must do the work.


Blessings
Mrs. White





For Home-keeping Inspiration, order my book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking




An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark







No comments:

Post a Comment