Monday, September 23, 2013

Simple Days at Home

Roadside Barn

Things are very quiet in rural Vermont. Many of us are getting ready for the coming winter. There are pretty leaves all over the landscape. Raking will soon become a family activity.  

There is always so much to do, from sun up to sun down.  There are children to care for, meals to cook, and a home to clean.   We all enjoy having Grandbaby here for an extended stay, along with his dear mother.  They brighten the home and keep the laughter going. 

I have been teaching baby how to clean. He just turned a year old.  I will give him a damp rag and he loves to clean his own high chair tray.  He will laugh with delight when he helps me with the work.  Throughout the house, baby's laughter awakens a happiness in every heart. Every home should have a baby.

Our wood pellet stove has been fixed. Mister was able to take care of it.  He has been doing test runs for us on these cool September mornings.  I love sitting near the fire with a pleasant book.

The other afternoon, I made a double batch of homemade frozen pizza. I neatly wrapped them in wax paper and stacked them in Ziploc freezer bags.  I thought how wonderful it would be if my freezer was full of homemade foods, rather than packaged commercial products from the store.  A carefully filled freezer of home goods, is something like rows of home canned foods stored away for the coming winter.

I need to set up a little basket near my parlour chair.  Socks, in this house, need mending. I haven't mended socks in such a long time, but I know it will be an enjoyable process. Perhaps when Amy (baby's mother) sits with me to chat, she will pick up some of the work, and we can mend while we have our daily visits in the parlour.

One of the greatest things I have learned as a homemaker and mother, is to have incredible patience with life.  One must never act on emotion - never in the moment.  Time is needed to pray, or to consider.  Having simple, quiet days at home, has made this all very clear to me.  Through a trusting patience in the Lord, we have a great contentment. Worries tend not to linger. They fade away as quickly as they came. 

To keep busy at home, in a slow and simple way, is a wonderful way of life.

Blessings
Mrs. White

From the Archives:

Please don't be one of these - Bossy Wives.

From My Kitchen - Baking Homemade Cinnamon Rolls by Lamplight.




For Home-keeping Inspiration, order my book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking




An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email. 






Share/Bookmark



No comments:

Post a Comment