Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Weary Housewife

General Electric 1948 Top Loading Dishwasher



I think we all have these ideals of being a good housekeeper.  We have set chores, like washing floors, dusting and polishing on a regular basis.  One day last week, I enjoyed an entire day of just cleaning.  The house looked lovely. I took short breaks as needed, and paced myself accordingly to avoid becoming tired.  I was able to work in the kitchen and cook nice meals.  It was the perfect housekeeping day. 

But sometimes the "ideal" housewife is impossible.  We are a culture of exhausted mothers.  We have sicknesses, and distractions that are making it harder and harder for us to enjoy our work in the home.  Being our "own" boss would imply that we could stop all unhealthy activities and interferences so we could focus entirely on mothering, homemaking and being a good wife.   But few of us have such courage.  Or is it something we have to continually strive for? 

The last few days have been miserable for me.  I am unbearably weary from health difficulties.  I decided, late yesterday afternoon, to put myself on bed - rest for a few days.  It's not that I even do too much around the home, it is that my health has been declining for such a long time, there is little I can do anymore.  More rest requires me to stop what I love to do.  I love and adore keeping house. I love vacuuming and washing floors and cooking meals. It is what I delight in.  But my health will not allow it.  So back to bed I must go, for a time of respite.  Then I will emerge ready to keep house, but at a slower and slower pace. 

Yet, I will never give up.  . . I will certainly take times of rest and recovery. But I will never stop trying to keep this house for my precious family.  We housewives will get knocked down by many things in this life.   We must always get up and keep at it.  Rest, yes, but keep going. Heaven is waiting at the end, and the eternal rest will be glorious!

Blessings
Mrs. White



For Home-keeping Inspiration, order my book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark



No comments:

Post a Comment