Friday, March 22, 2013

Mother's Home Cooking

Illustration of Mother and Daughter Baking Together by Douglass Crockwell

In my shopping bag were familiar name brands of groceries. I had Campbells soup, Tony's Pizza, Keebler cookies, and Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.  I was waiting for someone, and just thinking.  Then I realized that I had just bought convenience foods that took little effort to make.  While this is common in this modern day, it takes away the joy of enjoying Mother's home cooking.  If I had just bought some flour, sauce, cheese, chocolate chips, pasta and vegetables, I could have most of the ingredients I needed to make these foods myself.  

Something is missing in my home, when my husband and children are more excited to see a bag full of name brand foods, rather than being excited when I serve them a delicious homemade supper.

Have I really paid the convenience food industry to take away one of the most precious jobs of motherhood and wifehood? That of being the one to bring joy to the home by my home cooking?

Have you ever heard of travellers who eat in restaurants and diners, yet dream about sitting in the kitchen of a traditional home and just having a good home cooked meal? Can that even be found anymore in this day?

In my old cookbooks from the 1960's, there are sections with wonderful advice for the home cook.  There are tips and tricks and detailed instructions which teach any aspiring cook how to make a good meal herself.    With practice and time and a lot of patience, most homemakers can get back to the old arts of cooking.  These homemakers can Take Back the Kitchen

This will bring better health to our families, joy to their hearts, and a better quality of life.  This will also create a bond and tighten the love and happiness at home.  Much money will be saved when mother cooks her own foods.  Children and husband will also have appreciation and gratefulness for the sweet lady in the kitchen who  (gladly and willingly) takes time and effort to prepare their food. 

Many years ago, when frozen dinners and convenience foods were introduced to the general public, skilled housewives thought it was an insult and refused to buy such things!  How lovely it would be to have that same pride and capableness of taking on the joyous task of doing our own home cooking!

Blessings
Mrs. White



For Home-keeping Inspiration, order my book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark






No comments:

Post a Comment