Friday, October 5, 2012

Shocked by Blessings

"Evening Picnic", August 18, 1951

I've had such a heavy burden hanging over me for such a long time. There are so many worries and they are all financial.  

Mr. White and I worry about our soaring heating costs here in Vermont. Each winter, the bills make one want to weep.   There is never enough money.

We have had car trouble and car repair bills. Our grown children are dealing with unemployment issues. Even though they seek out jobs and try so hard, there are no jobs.  They have their own bills to pay and food to buy.  Why is there no work in this country, for people who are willing to earn a living?

Our household has no debt - no credit cards and no car loans. Our only debt is our small mortgage. We live without Credit Cards.  We live simply. Our needs are minimal and include basic living  expenses - like food, heat, housing and clothes.  In this economy, we struggle even with this.

Trusting the Lord with these troubles is all we can do.  As a housewife, and the one in charge of the household funds, I work hard here at home - cleaning, cooking, and managing the money.  I do my part.  The rest of us do our own jobs.  We have to leave it in God's hands.

Yet, every now and then, something amazing happens to give me great joy and relief.  I have been praying all week about a car repair bill.  I begged the Lord to let it be less than $200. That was all the money I had.  Half of it came from this blog. The other half was what one of my children pitched in to help pay household expenses.  This morning the call came in. The bill was just as I had hoped! It was under the $200.  I almost cried.  What a blessing. I had been trying to figure out how I was going to pay it, had it been another hundred or two.  But now, my worry is gone.

Recently, a letter came in the mail from a blog reader.  It was so precious and sweet. The reader felt led to send me money.  I have no idea who this person was.  I had never even heard of them.  But the money they sent helped with our upcoming heating costs.  This was a shocking and unexpected blessing for which I will always be grateful.

When these kinds of things happen, pressure is lessened and we can smile more. We can go out for a walk, or have an ice cream with the children. We can laugh without hidden tears.  It frees us, and helps us understand who holds the real wealth.  We remember that He who watches over the sparrow, watches over us.

We still have many worries, as so many households do these days.   But these little blessings, these little miracles, keep us going and keep our faith strong.  We will be okay.  We will pray over each trial and we will wait on the Lord.

Blessings
Mrs. White


Home as an Inviting Place - The Light in the Window.

Why is This? - No One Respects Homemaking Anymore.

What Would It Be Like? - If I Visit You at The Dinner Hour.





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark



No comments:

Post a Comment