Monday, August 13, 2012

Knowing When To Quit

Actress Jennifer Jones Playing the Piano with Her Two Little Boys at Home

Homemaking is an endless occupation. There are chores and errands and cooking to do. We also have our own ideas for projects and hobbies. I am often overwhelmed to the point that I have to force myself to sit down.

Today I thought about making a new dress, starting a knitting project, catching up on some book reading and baking some muffins.  I had so many ideas racing through my mind that all I could do was sit at the table, look at my son (John) and say, "I am bored."  How could that be?  Because I was so overwhelmed with my plans that I couldn't do anything. I finally played a game of "Charlie Brown" Yahtzee with John so I could get my mind to stop and relax.  (The pictures on the dice and can made us smile, and cheered me up!)

Pacing myself is one of the hardest of trials in my life at home.  I did manage to clean several rooms, go out on an errand, read, make a nice lunch and bake a cake.  Finally, late this afternoon, I decided that it was time to quit. It was time to be finished for the day. It was time to stop doing anything and just be at peace.

My evening will be one of relaxing. I will enjoy hobbies at my own pace and listen to classical music. I will light a lilac - scented candle and knit, or hand-sew, in my cozy parlour. I will drink tea and not worry about anything. 

Just a little while ago, I told my youngest child (age 15), we are finished for the day. No more chores.  Everything is perfectly neat. If it gets messed up in the next few hours, we will just leave it for the morning. He was delighted!  He was off duty from helping me and I was off duty from housework (and of nagging for help! - smiles)

 Sometimes, one of the greatest secrets of joyful homemaking is knowing when to quit.

Blessings
Mrs. White

The importance of Mother's Cleaning Recovery

All about Proper Manners - Getting Along in Marriage.

Help from my Son on a Very Sad Day - Presents To Cheer Me up






An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment