Friday, June 22, 2012

Summer Housekeeping

Houses in Perkins Cove, Ogunquit, Maine, USA

My husband and I both grew up in humble beach houses, in Massachusetts.  For us, summer time always felt like a vacation.  We can have this same feeling, even if we don't live near a beach.

Here in the mountains of Vermont, the summer days are short. The use of air conditioning is rare. We tend to rely on ceiling fans and window fans.  

In the early morning, I open the blinds just a little bit. The windows are open so we can feel the fresh air.  Then I close the sheer burgundy curtains to help block more of the heat from the sun. This helps keep the rooms cool and pleasant.

Housework and cooking are done in the early morning hours.  If I work quickly, I can have most of my work done, and a load of laundry on the clothesline by 9 a.m. This leaves me plenty of free time to enjoy the vacation - atmosphere that summer tends to bring.

It is the most fun when all of us are home together. We often have company over most days.  People tend to spend much more leisure time in the warm months than they do during the bitter winter season.

As strange as this may sound, I enjoy cleaning and organizing on hot summer mornings, more than any other time of year. This is probably because it is an excellent form of exercise, and brings great results in the form of a neat and tidy house.  There is nothing like hanging clothes on the line on a warm summer day.  Washing dishes throughout the day to make sure the family can enjoy bbq's, watermelon and ice cream makes me happy.    I also love to see the fans blowing, and a bit of warm sunlight sneaking through the window, making my clean house look like a humble vacation spot.

One of the most relaxing things to do, after my morning work is finished, is to sit outside in the heat of the day, with a cool drink, and watch the children laugh and play. 

When night falls, I do some last minute housework.  The house is dim, the family is quiet, and we are all resting.  We think about all the exciting things we've done during the day, and look forward to the next set of adventures.   

Being home, as a permanent fixture as a housewife, has many benefits.  I have so much freedom to manage this place and our finances in a way that we can all appreciate.   Because, really, if you think about it, being home all summer is a vacation for many people.  I am just grateful I can be home all year long.

Blessings
Mrs. White

Keeping Busy with - Domestic Occupations.

A Living History - Homemaking Links the Generations.

Good Propaganda in the Home - Kitchen Sermons.





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment