Thursday, November 14, 2013

Keeping House while Staying Sane

"Home Improvement", December 5, 1953

Each day, I have plans and chores I set out to accomplish. I am usually able to get things done in a leisurely, happy way. But more often, some hurricane or tornado comes in and makes me struggle to keep my footing. These "storms" can be grumpy relatives (gentle smiles), troubled teens, sickness, a husband with a completely different outlook on life, or some painful turmoil attacking the family. 

I have learned that I cannot change.  I cannot alter my path because of the negative circumstances. I have to stay calm and focused.

I cannot dwell on moods. I cannot wallow in sorrow or pity. I cannot grumble or allow misery and indignation over the unfairness of it all destroy my daily walk in life.

One of the things I do is read a sweet, calming book.  My favorite, of course, is anything by Elizabeth Prentiss (1800's). I have also been reading "Lessons at Blackberry Inn" by Karen Andreola.  This is a sweet work of fiction about a family living out in the country. It is a pleasant read and a diversion from regular life.

 I am not one of those people who want to be "supported" in misery. I do not want to read about suffering, or other mothers dealing with trouble. I want to be "calmed" and "centered" and brought to a peaceful place so I can adjust my attitude and get back to setting the example of godly living for my family.  We are told in Scripture that "iron sharpens iron."  Godly influence, wholesome christian literature, and wise Christian friends keep us sweet and dedicated to our noble work.  But if we dwell among the writings of anger, and suspense, and high-alert, we are going to be anything but calm and sweet. Our temper, our spirit, will be troubled. We cannot safely walk a gentle path when we are wallowing with comrades of misery.

So today, even though my circumstances are greatly troubled, I will live as happily and calmly as I can.  I will do my housework and sing hymns. I will take care of "precious" (my grandbaby). I will make a pleasant supper and do a little baking.  I will find comfort in my faith and I will keep looking up. I will not notice the storms around me. . . because we all know that no one can walk on water, unless one's eyes are on the Lord.

blessings
Mrs. White


A special book for Homemakers - "Mother's Book of Home Economics."




An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email. 






Share/Bookmark



No comments:

Post a Comment