Monday, January 21, 2013

Winter Days at Home

The Study

I am mostly home-bound this time of year. The bitterly cold Vermont days make it difficult for me to get out much.  This morning, I will read some of Jane Austen's "Persuasion."   I have been working on this book for the past few weeks.  I read a little here and there. The story is fascinating and makes one enjoy the culture of home-life.

I shall have tea in a pretty cup, and have toast while sitting near the heater.  We have lost the use of our wood pellet stove this winter.  There is a coolness in the house that makes one a little weary. But we will get a new stove for the next season.   We are getting by, and will endure this temporary trial, just as we endure all the burdens that come our way - with patience and a hope for better days.

Yesterday, I was in several of the rooms in this old 1800's house.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I had suffered an eye-injury in the morning and needed a warm, cozy room to rest in.  I went to the third floor and tidied up before deciding to listen to an audio-drama from Focus on the Family. It was Les Miserables. (Radio Theatre) It was amazing.  (A review will be posted soon.)  It kept me occupied for three hours, long enough for the pain in my eye to subside. I was then able to get back to a slower paced homekeeping schedule.

Each room that I enter, I see something that inspires me to clean, or make it look inviting and pleasant.  You can always tell when Mother has been in a room, because of those little touches that make home precious.  A home should look inviting and ready for hospitality, even if the only guests are the residents.

We have an abundance of snow outside.  Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to spend winters in Florida. But Mr. White assures me that he will fix our heating troubles very soon.  He will make sure I am happy and warm in our humble estate here in Vermont.  I will be patient and trust him.

Blessings
Mrs. White

Life at Home - How a Housewife Passes the Time.

Remembering my Boston Aunt's Influence - Manners Learned at the Finishing School.

Happy Childhood Days -  When Television was Special.



For Home-keeping Inspiration, order my book - For The Love of Christian Homemaking





An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark



No comments:

Post a Comment