Monday, December 31, 2012

Closing my Household Account

Actress Joan Fontaine Doing the Household Bookkeeping Next to Oscar Statuette

Throughout the year, I kept a record book of my household expenses.  The majority of entries were entered by my youngest son, John (15). I have taught him general bookkeeping by having him look over my receipts, organize them, and enter the totals of my spending. 

At this very moment, he is closing out my accounts for the year.  He is in the process of getting monthly spending totals, by looking over the handwritten entries in my old fashioned ledger book.  He is analyzing the numbers and thinking about all the different things his mother spent money on this year.

 (There is no computer doing this for him. It is an old fashioned method of thinking and seeing the history of our financial life.)

When he finishes the monthly totals, he will give me a final figure of exactly how much money I spent during the entire year. 

Tomorrow, we will set up a new household account in our ledger book. This will be for 2013. We will make plans and goals and find ways to be as economical as we can.  Since John has been working with me all year, I will seek his advice, ideas and input.    This is a very precious way for him to learn how to manage money, by helping his Mama to manage her household funds.

Blessings
Mrs. White


Great Peace - The Note in Mother's Pocket.

When Things are Going Wrong - Forgotten Kindness in Marriage.

We Took One of These - A Vow of Poverty.









An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark



No comments:

Post a Comment