Friday, July 6, 2012

Hosting a Baby Shower


In late June, I hosted a baby shower in my home. This was for my daughter, who is so excited!  I want to share a few pictures with you, and tell you some of the things we did.

DECORATIONS

1. I bought decorations at our local Rite- Aid.  This includes the pretty cut-outs on the walls, the table centerpieces and the colorful bears which trimmed the table.   The cost was under $10.

2. I bought blue (the baby is a boy) paper plates and a table cloth from dollar store.

3. I bought solo cups, napkins and plastic silverware for a minimal cost.

GREETING THE GUESTS

1.  I set up a small school desk. This is where we put a serving tray full of "goodie boxes" which contained mints and tootsie rolls.

2.  In the center of this tray were pastel mints in a little bowl.  

3. I used my computer to create "guest book" pages. There is a space for the date, the name of the event, the name of the expectant mother and a place for each guest to write their name and comments.
I used a hole punch and then tied the pages together with yarn.  [After the shower, these guest pages went into a special book - more on that later.]

4.  As each guest came in the door, they were directed to sign the book. I then introduced them to everyone in the group.


Guest Book and Treats in the Front Entryway



THE MOTHER'S BOOK

1.  I used a three-ring binder (with pockets) for this.  I found a pretty picture online and made a cover page. 

2.  I searched for quotes that would encourage the new mother.   Here are some examples:


"If I am Thy child, O God, it is because Thou gavest me such a mother." - St. Augustine.

"My Mother's occupation and hobby, vocation and avocation was motherhood." - Mary Higgins Clark.

"I remember my mother's prayers and they  have always followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." - Abraham Lincoln.

"I looked on child-rearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully as interesting and challenging as any honorable profession in the world and one that demanded the best that I could bring it." - Rose Kennedy.

3.   Some of the people who were invited, but could not attend, sent notes and thoughts for the book.   The expectant mother can add more pages to the book over time.

4.  After the shower was over, we put all the cards and letters into the pockets on the inside cover. 

The Mother's Book


THE FOOD

1. On the invitations, each guest was asked to bring a dessert or treat.  We had brownies, fruit salad, and crackers. 

2. I made two cakes. One was a white bunt cake with chocolate frosting.  The other was a white cake with vanilla frosting and was covered with fresh strawberries.

3.  We had lemonade and soda for beverages.

THE PRESENTS

So many lovely gifts were given. Here is a small sampling:


1.  Baby Magic Lotion - This is my favorite and has a wonderful scent!

2. Fisher Price Laugh and Learn Puppy's Piano - This is such a cute toy! It is for ages 6 - 36 months. A baby can play the piano and listen to the sounds of counting, colors, and more.  It has English and Spanish words. 



3. Fisher Price Infant to Toddler Rocker - When my children were babies, we had a more retro version of this. But the basic premise is still there.  Mother can sit in a chair and rock the baby with her foot when she needs to.  The baby will also be very entertained by the new modern features which include music!


4. Snoopy Crib Bedding - We had sort of a snoopy theme! This adorable bedding will brighten up the baby's room and look so sweet!


Some of the Presents before all the Guests Arrived



Overall, my daughter had a lovely time and was so grateful for all the sweet gifts and fellowship she received!




Blessings
Mrs. White

*Disclosure - Fisher Price provided me with the piano puppy for review/ promotional purposes.*





Joining with
French Country Cottage, My Romantic Home, The Shabby Nest, Home Stories A to Z.

An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment