Sunday, July 8, 2012

Home Entertainment without Movies or Television

The Music Lesson

Lately, I have gotten into some bad habits. I forgot what it was like to just enjoy home without distractions.   I forgot how to pass the time at home in a pleasant way. This coming week, I am hoping for a more quiet, simplified life.  I have a plan. It will last for 7 days.  I will not watch television. . . not even DVDs. I am even willing to stay away from classic favorites like The Waltons and Little House on the Prairie.

I want to read more.  I want to hand-sew, and bake, and spend more time enjoying kitchen work, and my household duties.  I wonder if this bit of time I didn't realize I was missing out on, will enable me to delight in washing windows,  iron more, and enjoy decorating and organizing on a regular basis.

Unexpected guests are more welcome when I am not involved in a program, even something as pleasant as You Can't Take it With You, Starring Jimmy Stewart.  I think this constant access to a "home theater" (television) where I can see "plays" (movies) and programs any time I want has made it less special.  I am hoping that this 7 day fast from television will help me set a new routine of watching one thing a week. . . one thing that is carefully selected. . . something that will be enjoyed and appreciated much more than what has been too accessible.

This week, I hope to do the following things:

1. Sweep my front porch every morning (in the beautiful summer air).
2. Hang clothes on the line before breakfast.
3. Read my Bible more, and read calming, inspiring literature more.
4. Bake and cook more often.
5. Mend and Sew for relaxation, while visiting in the parlour (my living room).
6. Enjoy hours of homemaking - such as decorating, organizing, polishing and shining things up.
7. Write old fashioned letters to cheer and surprise the recipients.

Dear Readers, I would love to hear your thoughts:

- If you were to take this week off from common home entertainments, what would you do?

- If you don't watch television or movies, what does your family do throughout the day?

Blessings
Mrs. White



Home Economics - Why The High Cost of Food?

Class and Style in Homemaking - When Mother is the Maid.

Don't Change - Even When the Children are Growing up - Sitting Alone at the Kitchen Table.



An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email.  I would also love to have you connect with me on Facebook and Twitter!



Share/Bookmark


No comments:

Post a Comment