Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Home Life in New England

Cape Primrose (small)


I noticed some little pine cones around some of the trees on the front grounds of our Estate.  I thought it would be so nice to bring them in, and decorate.  I wanted to get back out there with my grandson and have him help me. He is 2 years old now.  But things got very busy with the care of the house and the care of two of my grandchildren.  My sweet, little grandboy has a sister who is 7 months old.  I remember walking around the property with him the first year of his life. I showed him my attempts at gardening and he loved being held while we walked and talked about the Estate.  His sister hasn't had that privilege. I have found it difficult, in my old age, to tend to both of them on the grounds without help.  I get tired much too easily.  So I have to conserve my strength, leaving outdoor playtime with the babies to others in the family.

The other day, I noticed new daisies growing by the front porch. I would walk by the window and see them starting to blossom from a large plant one of the children had given me this past mother's day.  I couldn't believe new flowers were coming at this time of year, here in cold New England, in November?  It made me smile.

I am making Thanksgiving preparations and want to get back outdoors to gather some pine cones to decorate.  I will have to make the effort, this coming weekend, to take my grandbaby girl out with me.  I need to show her what the grounds look like this time of year. I want her to see the leaves before they are covered by the coming Vermont snow.   I remember, this past summer, walking her by the back river as we listened to the rushing of the water on the rocks.  There is a serene peacefulness to being out in this quiet retreat we call HOME.  

I was tidying up my dressing room and found a miniature porcelain doll. It is a little pilgrim doll I bought, years ago, while in a gift shop at Plimouth Plantation.   I will bring it out to display on the hutch in the parlour. The children will enjoy seeing it when they come home for Thanksgiving in a couple of weeks.

I have limited Internet access, and have enjoyed being completely without it for a few months.  I hope to write here when possible, but will continue to send out a monthly newsletter.  Old fashioned mail is such fun.

Blessings
Mrs. White


From the Archives:

Encouraging children to clean -  Nobody wants to Clean a Messy House.

A Challenge and a Privilege - Living on Mister's Income.


Mrs. White's special book for Homemakers - "Mother's Book of Home Economics."




An Invitation - Subscribe to The Legacy of Home and have it delivered directly to your email. 





Share/Bookmark







No comments:

Post a Comment